James practices general insurance defence litigation, including defence of municipalities, business and professionals as well as subrogation matters. His practice includes property damage and personal injury, occupier’s liability and product liability matters as well as human rights and employment law.
Prior to entering law school James worked for 5 years in industrial sales and supply specializing in hydraulic and chemical process valve and fittings.
James articled with Guild Yule LLP prior to being called to the Bar in 2011.
- Corden Holdings Ltd. v. Lookout Emergency Aid Society et al. 2015 BCSC 2059
- Corden Holdings Ltd. v. Lookout Emergency Aid Society et al. 2015 BCSC 1707
- Hutton v. Breitkreutz 2015 BCSC 1164
- Defence counsel for BC Supreme Court Trial in a motor vehicle personal injury action related to winter driving conditions.
- Counsel for a Strata Plan obtaining a Preliminary Decision dismissing a BC Human Rights Tribunal Complaint.
- Appearing as counsel for creditor in debtor matter.
- Appearing as defence counsel for a trucking company in a spoiling of goods claim.
- Appearing as counsel for a construction warranty program on numerous construction defect claims against builders.
- Acted for municipalities in personal injury actions arising from accidents on public lands.
- 2011 Called to the British Columbia Bar
- 2010 J.D. University of Calgary
- 2010 Provincial Court of Alberta Clerkship Program
- 2009 Jessup International Law Moot, Canadian National Rounds 1st place preliminary rounds 2nd place overall.
- 1999 B.B.A Trinity Western University
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch
- Secretary CBA International Law Section, B.C.
- Member, International Commission of Jurists, Canadian Section
- Presentation of paper Formal Offers to Settle: Shields or Swords, co-authored with Alexander D.C. Kask, March 2015.
- Presentation of briefing note, Update on “Vacancy” Clauses: Coburn v. Family Insurance Solutions 2014 BCCA 7, April 2014.
While attending the University of Calgary at law school James volunteered with Pro Bono Students Canada Family Law Project as well as Student Legal Assistance. Currently James volunteers time at the Queen’s Park Parent Participation Preschool where his daughter attends.