Neil’s preferred practice is in construction litigation, product liability and professional liability, including professional liability insurance coverage analysis. Called to the Nova Scotia bar in 1986, Neil spent five years in Ontario as a claims examiner with a professional liability insurer before moving to BC in 1992 to assume the position of Deputy Director of Insurance at The Law Society of British Columbia. At this time he acquired his CRM designation in risk management. Neil was called to the BC bar in 1995 and worked in-house with an insurer before setting up his own law corporation in 1998. He joined Guild Yule in 2004.
With his varied background in the insurance field, Neil brings to Guild Yule unique experience in claims, underwriting, captive insurance and risk management. In addition to litigating claims, he advises insurers on policy wordings and other businesses and organizations on their legal and risk management issues.
Neil is recognized by Benchmark Canada as a Local Litigation Star in Construction Law, Dispute Resolution and Product Liability, by Lexpert as a leading practitioner in Litigation, Commercial Insurance, and by Best Lawyers in Canada for Construction Law and Insurance Law. Neil is also a Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
- 1994 CRM (Risk Management), Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia
- 1985 LL.B., Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Past Chair, Canadian Captive Insurance Association
- Member (Non-Practising), Nova Scotia Barristers Society
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Involved in: Construction Law Section, Insurance Law Section, Employment Law Section
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- February 2015 BC Midwinter Briefing: Subrogation; Pitfalls and Pointers
- October 2014 Canadian Underwriter: How Ignition Interlock Programs Affect Commercial Vehicle Risk
- January 2014 BC Midwinter Briefing: Recent BC Decisions Affecting Expert Reports and Health Care Costs
- February 2013 BC Midwinter Briefing: 2012 BC Insurance Cases of Note
- November 2012 CLE Presentation: Examination for Discovery
- July 2012 Briefing Note: Clements v. Clements – Further Clarification on the Law of Causation
- June 2011: Preparation of Legislative Amendment Position Paper for BC Financial Institutions Commission on Protected Cell Captive Insurance
- June 2010: Client Presentation – Expanding Scope of Duty to Defend
- November 2008 Insurance West Article: Trading Certainty for Flexibility under Rule 37B
- May 2008 Insight Seminar: Privacy Issues: What Does an Insurer Have to Hand Over When You Ask?
- November 2007 Insurancewest Magazine: Civil Procedure Change Creates Dilemma for Defence Counsel
- October 2007 RIMS Northwest Chapter: Onshore Domicile Round Table
- June 2006 Adjusters Quarterly Magazine: Individual Strata Owners New Source of Leaky Condo Claims