Jim practices in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on insurance defence (including product liability, property damage, motor vehicle and construction claims), commercial litigation, personal injury and claims against professionals. He appears regularly in the BC Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. He has appeared in the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal as well as before administrative tribunals.
Jim is an Adjunct Professor, UBC Faculty of Law (Insurance – Motor Vehicle). He is a reviewer of the Law Society of B.C. Practice Checklists and an Instructor, UBC Faculty of Law, Trial Advocacy Program. He is a past President and Director of the Vancouver Bar Association. He is rated in various peer-reviewed publications including Best Lawyers in Canada (Insurance Law), Martindale-Hubbell, and Lexpert.
- Counsel for various out of province insurers for motor vehicle claims arising in BC
- Counsel on Federal Court matter involving extensive damage at a marina and vessels relating to a fire
- Coverage counsel for an excess insurer on serious personal injury actions
- Lead counsel for a developer and construction manager on two separate, complex, multi-party actions involving construction deficiency claims
- Counsel on a complex commercial litigation matter involving land development for a large shopping centre
- Coverage counsel to an excess insurer on a commercial fire loss which generated multiple actions
- Counsel for an international insurer on numerous product liability claims
- Ad Hoc counsel for the Law Society of B.C.
- In the past has provided coverage advice and has acted for engineers and architects on professional liability claims
- 1979 – Bachelor of Arts (History), University of B.C.
- 1982 – Bachelor of Laws, University of B.C.
- 1983 – Called to the B.C. Bar
- Current – Member Law Society of British Columbia; Canadian Bar Association; Vancouver Bar Association and Defense Research Institute
- Former – Director (including Vice-Chair), Vancouver Foundation; Director, B.C. Medical Services Foundation; and Director (including President), Vancouver Resource Society for the Physically Disabled