Shauna Gersbach practices general insurance litigation and human rights law. Her practice includes medical and dental malpractice defence, education law, employment law, administrative law, municipal law, and claims arising from personal injury and property damage.
Shauna has appeared in the Provincial Court, the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal of British Columbia.
Shauna was called to the bar in 2012 after clerking for six justices of the British Columbia Supreme Court.
- Mother obo others v. School (No. 2), 2015 BCHRT 92 – successfully defended a human rights complaint against a school, in which the Complainants alleged racial discrimination. The Complaint was dismissed following a 5 day hearing, with the Tribunal concluding that the Complaint was not justified.
- Ouimet v. Kwok, 2014 BCSC 1178 – successfully defended a petition for judicial review by the Claimant of a decision by the BC Provincial Court striking the Claimant’s action arising from dental malpractice.
- Ouimet v. Kwok, CA042021, 2014 oral reasons for judgment – successfully defended an application by the Claimant seeking indigent status for the purposes of the appeal proceeding and obtained an order requiring the Claimant post security for costs on the basis that the appeal lacked merit.
- Stroszyn v. Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited, 2014 BCCA 431 – co-counsel on an appeal of a petition arising from the scope of coverage under an excess policy of insurance, as well as the scope of a leasing company’s liability under the Insurance (Vehicle) Act.
- 2015 Called to the Yukon Bar
- 2012 Called to the British Columbia Bar
- 2010 to 2011 Judicial Law Clerk, British Columbia Supreme Court
- 2010 L.L.B., University of Victoria
- 2008-2010 Executive Member -University Association of Women in the Law
- 2007 BSc (Honours) in Statistics, University of Calgary
- 2006/2007 President – Women in Science and Engineering
- 2005/2006 Vice-President – Women in Science and Engineering
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Medical Legal Society
- Member, Law Society of Yukon
While attending law school at the University of Victoria, Shauna was awarded the Davis LLP Prize in Administrative Law, the Harper Grey LLP prize in Insurance Law, and the Lars Alfred Lindholm Memorial Scholarship for highest standing in Labour law. She was also awarded the BC Supreme Court Judge’s Scholarship as well as the President’s Scholarship for overall academic performance.
Shauna completed French immersion and received a bilingual certificate. She has also studied Spanish and Italian.
Shauna is an avid runner. She has competed at the national level in cross-country and road running. Shauna also enjoys playing the piano, and singing jazz, opera or musical theatre.