Shaun practices in the areas of insurance defence and general litigation. Shaun’s practice includes the defence of personal injury claims with a special interest in sports and recreation liability. Shaun defends clients in professional negligence actions including claims against financial advisors, insurance brokers, as well as medical and other professionals. Shaun also has experience defending property damage, product and occupiers’ liability actions, and assisting clients with insurance coverage, employment law and human rights matters. Shaun has experience assisting professional clients such as insurance brokers and mutual fund dealers in responding to regulatory proceedings and other complaints.
Shaun was called to the British Columbia Bar in 2009 after completing his articles at Guild Yule LLP. He has appeared before all levels of court in BC, the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada, and assists clients in responding to the Insurance Council of British Columbia.
In his free time Shaun keeps busy backcountry skiing, playing hockey, and cycling.
- Stoneman v. Denman Islands Local Trust Committee, 2015 BCSC 264. – successfully applied to have the substantive portions of the plaintiffs’ Notice of Civil Claim struck.
- Whitworth Holdings Ltd. v. AXA Pacific Insurance Company, 2014 BCSC 1696 – successfully applied to strike a plaintiff’s claim for coverage on an all-risk commercial property insurance policy. At issue was the interpretation of an exception to a pollution exclusion. The court agreed that the policy did not provide for more than $25,000 in pollutant clean-up and accordingly the plaintiff’s action under the property policy was dismissed.
- The Owners, Strata Plan KAS3058 v. St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company (Travelers), 2013 BCSC 2197 – Co-counsel at a summary trial to determine the scope of coverage provided by a civil authority clause when a resort closed due to a forest fire.
- Cornester v. Intact Insurance Company, 2012 BCSC 1654 – successfully obtained an award of double costs after having the plaintiff’s claim dismissed at trial.
- Cornester v. Intact Insurance Company, 2012 BCSC 1741 – co-counsel at trial where a claim against an insurance broker was successfully defended.
- Murray v. Langley (Township), 2010 BCSC 102 — co-counsel at a summary trial involving a claim of nuisance.
- Rahmani v. Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, 2009 BCPC 182 – counsel for a health authority on a successful application to dismiss.
- 2003, Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), University of British Columbia
- 2008, Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan
- 2009, Called to the British Columbia Bar
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Medical Legal Society of B.C.
Guild Yule Briefing Note, May 2015: Recreational League Soccer Team Captain Found Liable for Team Member Breaking the Rules
Guild Yule Briefing Note, February 2014: B.C. Court Addresses the Duty of Care of Backcountry Heli-Skier – Kennedy v. Coe, 2014 BCSC 120
- Secretary – Board of Directors – Vancouver Resource Society for the Physically Disabled
- Pro Bono Lawyer – Access Pro Bono