Vernon practices in the areas of municipal law, product liability, maritime law, personal injury and general insurance defence litigation. He also has experience in commercial litigation, subrogated claims, defending on catastrophic personal injury claims, and large property losses related to floods, fire, landslides and water intrusion. He has acted on behalf of foreign and domestic shipowners, charterers and underwriters in relation to matters concerning yacht claims, marine-related personal injury claims, collisions, marine insurance and maritime lien claims and enforcement.
He has represented clients at all levels of Court in British Columbia and the Federal Court of Canada and the WCB Appeal Tribunal.
Vernon was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1998 and has focused on civil litigation throughout his entire legal career.
Vernon is a regular presenter at CLE Seminars. He has been recognized in the 2019 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada, in the Insurance Law category. He is a recognized Litigation Star for Benchmark Canada (2020) in Insurance, Dispute resolution, Product liability and recall.
Education and Professional Affiliations:
- 1998 LLB, University of Calgary
- 1999 BEd, University of Manitoba
- 1980 BA, University of Prince Edward Island
- U.S. Coast Guard O.U.P.V. Captain’s Licence (1992)
- Member, Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Member, Admiralty Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch
- Member, Insurance Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch